Dependents' and Survivors' Benefits - Federal
*Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
*Home Loan Guaranties
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is payable to certain survivors of:
(1) Servicemembers who died on active duty
(2) Veterans who died from service-related disabilities
(3) Certain veterans who were being paid 100% VA disability compensation at time of death
Death Pension is payable to some surviving spouses and children of deceased wartime veterans. The benefit is based on financial need.
Home loan guaranties to acquire a home may be available to an unmarried spouse of a veteran or servicemember who died as a result of service-connected disabilities.
Educational assistance benefits are available to spouses who have not remarried and children of:
(1) Veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a disability arising from active military service
(2) Veterans who died from any cause while rated permanently and totally disabled from service-connected disability
(3) Servicemembers listed for more than 90 days as currently missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force
(4) Servicemembers listed for more than 90 days as currently detained or interned by a foreign government of power.
There are certain requirements and exceptions, for more information contact the Veterans Office or visit the VA website at: